Monday, July 27, 2009

Cyber Kids

I'm not sure about other parents but I'm fighting for my kids' attention and losing out to technology. The computer, iPods, mobile phones, playstations are a constant companion for most of our children across Malaysia.

Even though I have a 'contract' with each of them, it is sometimes still difficult to get everybody to join in the family activity or even to watch a movie together at home. Further more my eldest son has shown signs that he is not happy with my controlling manner. I expect my kids to abide by the 'contract' - break the 'contract' and all the gadgets are switched off.

And for me, I would rather have them outside the house with some physical activities to enjoy e.g at the swimming pool, at the gym or at the football field instead of safely tuck in their bedroom with the computer. With social networking sites, blogs, chat rooms, online gaming and much more, the internet is actually like an open window to a dangerous world if we don't know how to manage our kids' computer usage.

I read in a magazine recently that computers can seriously threaten a child's psychological development - it can lure children to the world they are not equipped to handle - if a child is communicating one way, that is, through the keyboard, their brain cells will wither and die.

Whatever it is, at the moment, I have to take control of the gadgets - it's not a right, it's a privilege! It's also a dilemma for me hahaha. Tips anyone?

1 comment:

tryingtowrite said...

I guess you are right. Talk to them.