Monday, October 19, 2009

A Tragedy that Brought Us Together

If asked to name my first impression of my neighbours before 6 December 2008, unhesitatingly it would be that most of them are 'sombong'. 6 December 2008 is a day residents of Bukit Antarabangsa will never forget - that was the day the landslide at Bukit Antarabangsa happened. But for me, one greatest thing came out of the landslide tragedy - it brought the neighbours and I together.

And for the first time after over 7 years staying at Sinaran Ukay Residence, Yazid and I had our neighbours over for breakfast yesterday. There were over 50 people (adults & kids) at my house yesterday morning - enjoying each others' company celebrating the end of Syawal. It was an amazing experience because before the tragedy we don't even speak to our neighbours in the elevators, let alone invade their homes!!

Even though Yazid & I slept for only 2 hours yesterday, the thought of having our friends come over for breakfast at our home made the hours of toiling in the kitchen feel more than worth it. Actually yesterday, the food was secondary when you got to spend times with good company.

As the decision to organise the breakfast get-together was made at a very short notice and with the fact that my maid is still not back from Indonesia, we shortlisted the original invitation list to only very close neighbours. However both of us admitted that it should not be the way next year as Hari Raya open house should be the occasion when we showcase the unique inter-ethnic diversity in Malaysia.

The landslide tragedy really opened up opportunities for us to open up with one another. I also realised that my neighbours and I are human beings trying to share space together in this small neighbourhood. What I also know is that Islam urges kind and considerate treatment towards our neighbours. I am also sure that all religions place great emphasis on the solidarity of families, neighbours and the wider community.

Therefore we should spare our neighbours our harsh tongue and watch each others' boundaries. Respect, tolerance, generous and forgiveness - these are the qualities that should be shown to our neighbours. If you posses these real qualities, it demonstrates to people the standard of your moral values and positive manners.

To all my neighbours, I look forward to many more fine years ahead.

No comments: