Saturday, May 30, 2009

You Want It, So Do It!!

I recently bumped into my ex-classmate whom I haven’t seen since we left ITM. She is now doing very well in a multi-national corporation. In fact she’s heading the marketing department of her company. Of course I’m happy for her – yes genuinely happy for her.

But while driving home, there was a tiny twinge of envy – overpowered by an ‘I wish I could be like her’ – but quickly followed by ‘but I probably never will’. To be honest, I have made so many mistakes in my life. But I learned from my failures and happy with what I am now. I am definitely not rich, I don’t have a degree, I don’t live in a big house, I don’t drive expensive car but somehow I am happy – happy that I have a happy family, I am surrounded by so many good friends, I get to do what I enjoy doing, and many more…………..and I thank God for that.

Again and again I always share my stories with my kids especially my 2 elder boys – how I picked up myself and tried my best - with no degree in hand, that’s the best I could do. Sometimes I regretted my actions for not pursuing my studies. But I told them that the reality is You can do whatever you set your mind to’. Sure, they may have failed a thousand times before but that doesn’t mean they will fail a thousand more. Betul tak?! No one single person can say they have never made a mistake. Imagine how many times Mahathir came up with policies that went nowhere. Imagine how many times Anwar Ibrahim’s plan to become PM ended up in bits and pieces. (hehehe sempat jugak nak cakap pasal politik)

I always encourage my kids not to dwell on the past but look to the future – it’s all that they have and it’s filled with unlimited potential. They have to try – they may fail – they may fall – they may take the wrong turn. My advice, just double back and try again and again until they get to where it is they want to be. And I believe that with God’s help, one day things will fall into place. Never ever give up!!

My children know that I don’t like to hear them complaining about the same things over and over again. I always tell them, before they complain about their friends or about those science/maths subjects that are difficult – why not change the way they look at problem/things – that obstacles are simply challenges from God for them to be a better person – for them to do things differently – an opportunity for them to succeed.

Insya’allah.

No comments: